A Wayne County judge will hold a hearing Wednesday over a request to halt counting of absentee ballots in Dearborn Heights suspected of potential election fraud.
Judge Robert Colombo Jr. scheduled a 9 a.m. Wednesday hearing after a state Senate candidate sued and sought a temporary restraining order to set aside certain absentee votes cast in Tuesday’s primary.
State Rep. David Nathan, one of six Democrats running in the 5th Senate District primary, filed a lawsuit late Monday seeking a temporary restraining order to prevent Dearborn Heights Clerk Walter Prusiewicz from counting absentee ballots.
Colombo’s clerk confirmed late Tuesday a hearing has been scheduled. Nathan’s attorney said the judge planned to issue an overnight injunction.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140805/POLITICS01/308050051#ixzz39Z7O6eR6
The Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) has claimed some voters of Arab-American descent were denied absentee ballots.
But a state elections official said last week based on information from the clerk and the ADC “it appears clear that hundreds of (absentee voter) ballot requests have been illegally handled, solicited from voters and submitted to the clerk’s office by a small number of individuals.”
“The investigation of these issues is ongoing and may result in criminal charges against those involved,” Sally Williams, director of the election liaison division at the state Bureau of Elections, wrote in a letter to the ADC.
Knezek has denied any involvement in the absentee ballot application solicitations.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140805/POLITICS01/308050051#ixzz39ZAamgRr