I have gotten all the information so far for the police contracts. I would like to say this from the start. I do not know if some of what they are getting is standard. After reading I tend to think some of these benefits are not standard. Do I think our police force should be well paid yes. Do I think that they should be making more when they retire then they did when they where working for the city NO. In an effort to understand why they would be getting more I decided to read the contract to help all of us understand what is going on.
How many officers were in DROP before arbitration seven (7) and after arbitration 22 officers have signed up.
- Compensatory time may be used to pay for health insurance co-pays provided same is paid in full at one time.
- Compensatory hours in excess of 240 maybe converted to furlough time up to (48) hours/ 6 full days eight hour shift or 4 full days twelve hour shift.
- Compensatory hours in excess of 240 hours maybe converted to sick time (1800 hours/225 day maximum)
- Effective july 1 2009 and current employee is also permitted to purchase a combined maximum of up to (60) months service credits. The cost per employee shall be five percent (5%) of employees base wage as provided in article 16 for the first (48) months
- 16.3 Longevity pay police officers will be paid longevity.
- Article XVII uniform allowance 2% of that employees base wage payable on or before the 30th day of June annually.
- An officer can accumulate up to 240 hours compensatory time.
- Court time if an officer has to appear in court other than such officers regular time they will be paid time and half.
- An officer may bank up to 240 hours vacation time to be used for determining the employees final average compensation.
- The city gives each officer 1 sick day each month that is 12 extra sick days a year.
These are just a few of the things I thought you might find interesting. Most of these things can be put in their DROP or pension including their uniform allowance. Interesting thing use to be the highest 3 years out of 10 years to calculate their pension. They now can use the highest 3 out of all the years they are on the force. That is a huge difference, and the possibilities are far reaching.
I will keep reading and post what else I find out.